Thursday, October 19, 2017

Teaching Students to Be Leaders


“What about in your classroom? I certainly hope students are learning content. But are they also having opportunities to develop more deeply as learners and leaders? Are they learning HOW to learning? Are they learning HOW to lead?”

I remember when I first started teaching. I had no experience and was just thrilled to be part of a new team. I never thought about advancing in my career and was happy just to be a teacher. Everyone at my school treated me like the rookie that I was and after a few years, I always felt like the “baby sister.” Then I switched to a high school where the faculty was huge and I felt like a little fish in a big pond. I never thought I had any kind of leadership ability and I was just still honing my skills as a special education teacher.

Then I switched to my second high school and no one looked at me as a rookie or a little sister. Suddenly I was an equal to other teachers there and there were many new and young teachers who had far less experience than I did. Suddenly these teachers were looking up to me and asking my advice. My principal was so impressed with all that I did for the department even though I wasn’t a department head that when the position became open, he appointed me as the new department head. I enjoyed the responsibility and was proud of all that I accomplished.

When I went to my third high school, the administration had expectations of me having some type of leadership role. These expectations rolled over to the faculty and many general education teachers were coming to me for advice with their special education students. Eventually the faculty even chose me for Teacher of the Year to represent my school for the District Teacher of the Year.

I never would have advanced my career if my administrators dragged me out of my comfort zone. It was their faith in me that made me not want to disappoint them. I found out I had skills that I didn’t even know I had. It was hard for me to do many of the things I was asked to do but because the administration had faith in me, I found the strength and courage to try. The more I succeeded, the more confidence I had as I tried lead more.

I think I need to do the same thing for my students. I need to trust them more with some responsibilities. As they succeed, I can give them more responsibilities. If they have trouble, I am there as a safety net and can help them be successful.

It is hard for me to give up control in the classroom so my students usually appreciate when I trust them act in a leadership role. The more they succeed, the more confidence they will have and be willing to do more. The more they learn to be leaders, the more successful they will be in the future.

How do you teach your students to be leaders? Please share.

No comments: